Tuesday Tea Time with Claire

Quality Versus Quantity... 




Far too often, I’ve caught myself wrapped up feeling the undeniable pressure of trying to teach my students every single learning objective and skill they need to...
     pass the next test...
          pass my class...
               pass the state tests...
                    graduate...
                         end up becoming successful...
                              contributing members of society. 

I despise the days when the bell rings, the period is over, and I know I rushed through yet another lesson in an attempt to teach quantity over quality. I’m stricken with the guilt of knowing that I’m the one to blame for wasting a period and not the usual couple of culprit students for being off task and attempting to cause a ruckus to avoid learning. I know I need to admit to myself that I attempted to rush my students to reach a new level of understanding without giving them the scaffolding and framework they needed to truly get there. Those are the days when I feel I am my own worst enemy when it comes to teaching. 

The days I am able to ignore the pressure and just let my students guide me on their time table of learning... magic happens! We all have those days when we allow ourselves to really listen and hear what they are getting or more often not getting. These are the days when we make the choice to slow down and dive deeper to help them each reach their own “ah ha” moments. These are the days we take the time to explain it in straight forward kid language. We relate the concept to something meaningful in their world and we find ourselves smiling because they are actually engaged (not just doing the dreaded polite fake bobble head nod)! Those are the days that make the challenge of teaching so worth every moment of chaos. The days of clarity.

Cheers to more days of us all allowing ourselves to listen to the insightful Yogi tea bag and, “Say it straight, simple, and with a smile”. 

Take a few moments to relax and enjoy your tea. You deserve it. 


2 comments: